Thursday, August 19, 2010

Library rues

You know how sometimes your kids just make you want to crawl under a rock and hide? That's how I felt this morning, when I was crazy enough to take the Fab Four to "toddler time" at the library.

Story time itself actually went fine. Our crew met up beforehand with my friend Alysia, her 3-year-old son, and her 1-year-old triplets, and then we all parked ourselves at the back of the classroom to sing a song and listen to a couple of stories. Isaac, Jude, and the triplets stayed in their respective strollers, but due to our stroller's design, the girls couldn't see unless I took them out. Although Lucy was quite content to sit in Alysia's lap, Dahlia just wanted to run around, which meant that I spent the entire time trying to keep her under control (I know one of the stories was about a giant potato, but don't even ask me about the other one!). Even so, I was ready to consider our brief trip to the library a success:

Listening to story time
Then came the embarrassing part. It started with Dahlia freaking out when it was time to go back in the stroller, continued with Isaac freaking out when he couldn't see me (I had to push the stroller out of the library while holding his hand from behind), and culminated with Jude and Dahlia freaking out when I put them in the van. To make a stressful situation even worse, a woman pulled in next to us while I was taking apart the stroller (amid screams) and coldly informed me that my kids didn't seem too happy (really? I had no idea!). By the time I climbed in the driver's seat, I was dripping with sweat and deeply sorry that I'd attempted to do something normal like go to the library with my kids.

Remind me when it is that children learn to control their emotions—it's soon, right? Right??

12 comments:

The Saunders Family said...

oh, from the mother of a 3 year old...don't get your hopes up! Seriously though, props to you for making the adventure for the kids! You are a super cool mama!

Megan said...

Don't be discouraged, Suzy! I spent our first story time chasing Kenny and Emma around the room as they both tried to escape out the open door. Over and over again. We were a spectacle. Fits were thrown. Grace freaked out when it was time to return the toys to the toy box. Emma refused to share. Emma screamed every time I tried to keep her from running off. But we went back again and again, and each time, they got a little better. Next time your mom is in town, try it again!
PS - more parallels between our 4 girls. It sounded like you were describing Emma and Grace!

Beth said...

Oh, I'm sorry! Keep trying things like this. You'll have good outings and not so good outings, but you have to keep trying.
As for when they learn to conrol heir emotions? Um, I think we have a while.
We are already something of a spectacle, so it can be really embarassing when one (or more) melts down in public. It sounds like you handled it as well as you could, though.

I'm sure you were incredibly grateful for that lady's help!

Samantha said...

Well done for taking your kids out. I know people who will not take their only child out because they might make a noise. Children will make noise - as this is often the only way they can express how they are feeling. Don't worry about anyone else - just do what you are doing now and know that you are doing the best for them.

JEN said...

Good for you for trying!

That lady - geez, you think she would lend a hand!

The Haughs said...

Yay you! I think it is great! I think kids learn best how to "act" in public by being out in public, so you gotta take them out! :) I think you had a great success! For me, having 3 kids, I consider it is a success if only 1 of them misbehaves. . . and this includes the 5 year old! :) Keep it up Suzy! You're doing awesome!

Alysia said...

Suzy, It went fine! Don't be so hard on yourself. Kids are kids and they are going to act like it. I agree with every comment....I consider it a good outing if only 2 break down. It gets easier and easier the more you do it, I PROMISE!!

Lisa Felix said...

Hang in there, Suz! I've had tons of embarrassing moments with my kids in public,too. In fact, I recall our visit to your house when Kristy was there: Noah and Levi turned into demon children with fangs and I couldn't leave quickly enough. What others have said is true--even though you never want to show your face in the library again, as you continue to try story time, the kids will become acclamated to the situation and know more of what to expect. And no mom (or libarary worker) at story time is judging you, because each of them has been through it themselves. I still hold my breath and cross my fingers when I take Levi to the library, and he's been going since he was an infant! Keep your chin up.

Bethany said...

Sometimes Brooklynn freaks out to the level of actually herself being 4 children. She's so dramatic. I'm impressed that some of them were able to keep calm.
As for that lady who HAD to comment, I want to punch people like that in the face. (So maybe Brooklynn gets her drama flair from her mother?)

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Suzy, you've got to blow off the crazies, girl! I'd have snapped something not-so-nice back at that lady, I'm sure. (And probably regretted it later.)

Most people are very understanding and very forgiving of those of us who are dealing with multiples. We get props just for getting out of bed in the morning, let alone showing up for storytime!

It sounds like a pretty normal outing with kids. I've had to haul my singleton out of the library, the Y, and a few other places crying and screaming, so it's not a multiples thing. It's just a kid thing.

Every librarian I've talked to says that kids always run around and that they get something out of it just by being there when someone is reading. So they know that we have to bring kids LOTS of times (in the case of my boys) to teach them to sit and listen.

Keep getting on that horse! It gets easier and easier.

Christine said...

Hate to tell you - just today Eve threw a fit when it was time to leave the Children's Museum. The fits are generally not as noisy as they used to be, at least. :-)
One time I took the three of them to Marsh and such spectacular fits were thrown (over who was sitting where in the shopping cart I think) I didn't even make it past the registers before turning around and leaving with them. One of the cashiers offeredd to run and get me something if I really needed it. I left with Eve under one arm, Lily under the other, and Julia trailing behind, all 3 of them crying. Good times. Hang in there - it does get easier, and in the meantime, it makes for a good blog post!

Heather said...

Ooooh, you should not feel embarrassed or disheartened! Your kids were just being kids. Those things happen. The woman in the parking lot was rude and out of line! I am sorry that happened to you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...