Tuesday, January 27, 2009

1-month check-up: Isaac and Lucia

Three days after bringing the quads home, Ted and I took all four of them to the pediatrician. The visit went well, but the doctor suggested splitting them up for future visits (and we heartily agreed—carting four babies around is not easy!). So today we left Jude and Dahlia in the capable hands of friend/coworker/triplet mom Christine, and took Isaac and Lucia for their 1-month appointment.

I was very excited to see how much they weigh now, and they did not disappoint. Isaac weighed 4 lb. 15 oz. when he left the NICU less than 3 weeks ago, and today he weighed 7 lb. even. I had been a little worried that Lucia was not growing as fast as the other quads, but her growth is right on track: She weighed 4 lb. 7 oz. when she left the hospital, and she now weighs 5 lb. 11 oz. Jude and Dahlia will have their turn on Monday, and I can't wait to see how much they have grown since we brought them home!

I also asked about lengthening the time between their feedings. The pediatrician said that since all of the babies have recently been eating more, we could probably try going 3.5 hours before giving them their next bottle. She also said that we could try letting the quads sleep at night until one of them wakes up hungry, and then waking up the rest of them to feed. Previously, we had been waking them up every 3 hours, no matter what. Hopefully this means we will be getting a little more sleep. Wish us luck!

Four sweet babies (34 days old)
Clockwise from top: Dahlia, Isaac, Lucia, and Jude

11 comments:

jag said...

They are REALLY adorable!

Valerie said...

Sounds like they are eating well! As early as I could with my kids (though keep in mind, I only had 1 at a time) I did as little as possible with them in the wee hours of the morning. If they did need something I tried to function with only the light from the night light. I fed them if they were hungry, and I changed them if they were stinky. If they just had a wet diaper though (and it wasn't dripping) I let it go. My thought process was that if they were sleeping through the night they would have the same diaper on the whole time. It helped to get them settled back into sleep a bit quicker. Hopefully that doesn't gross you out or offend you. If it does, toss it out there as unwanted baby advice from bloggers. (I'm not offended) Surely there will be more. :)

Your babies are adorable by the way.

The Middletons said...

They are so precious!! It sounds like they are doing GREAT and that you may be getting a wee bit more sleep in the near future.:o)
Staci

jen cox said...

Oh, that's great news! So glad to hear they're all on track. Thanks for the update.

Lori said...

Wow! 7 lbs. That's terrific! Looks like they're doing really well and obviously can't possibly get any cuter!!!!

Bree at Clarity Defined said...

Wow!! Their progress continues to amaze me. So exciting! They are precious.

The Haughs said...

LOVE that picture! So glad they are doing so well, Suzy. Those visits to the doctor are very reaffirming, I know. Yay. You're doing so awesome.

michellene said...

they are sooo cute! I can not believe it has been a month. Thinking of you. Blessings, Michellene

Anonymous said...

I love how the top kid (Lucia?) has totally checked out of the picture and is taking a nap.

Definitely wait at night to feed the kids until they (or one, at least) let you know they're hungry. That's the best way to eventually get them to sleep through the night and to stretch their feeding time during the day. And the sooner they sleep through the night, the sooner YOU sleep through the night. :)

Jewel said...

Congratulations! Those are 4 beautiful babies! I'm excited to follow your journey of parenting via blogging! You don't know me, but I'm one of Glenda's good friends. =]

Jess said...

Yay Isaac and Lucia!!!!

And, yay Mommy and Daddy for doing such a great job with their amazing quads!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...