Sunday, January 10, 2010

A year at home

One year ago yesterday, Ted and I brought home our 2-week-old quadruplets. Up until then, I hadn't really felt like a parent. During my pregnancy, in fact, I could barely wrap my brain around the fact that there were four human beings inside of me—after all, I knew very little about their personalities (only what their random kicks and stretches could tell me), and I didn't even have a good idea of what they looked like (despite the dozens of ultrasounds I saw!). Even after the babies were born, neonatal nurses took care of them around the clock, so visiting the NICU felt more like going to see a friend's baby than my own.

Bringing home the babies brought home the realities of being a mother. From one day to the next, I entered a season in which nearly every waking moment (and many half-asleep ones) would be devoted to caring for, worrying about, and growing to love each of these four little people. Over the next year, I would put everything else on hold and get to know each child's cry and each child's laugh as only a mother can. And on every one of those 365 days, I would learn something new about the babies, about Ted, about myself, about life.

I still have a lot to learn, and I know that the years ahead hold challenges and joys that I cannot even imagine right now, during the babyhood of my motherhood. But I do know one thing for sure: When I tell my babies that I love them, I mean it more than anything else I've ever said.

I've come a long way, babies, and so have you!

Isaac on Homecoming Day and exactly 1 year later

Lucia on Homecoming Day and exactly 1 year later

Jude on Homecoming Day and exactly 1 year later

Dahlia on Homecoming Day and exactly 1 year later

14 comments:

The Haughs said...

coWOW! That is so hard to believe. Love the side-by-side pictures of the kids in their car seats! You can tell you're doing a great job with them! :)

Suzy said...

Special thanks to Ted for making the composite pics to scale. :)

Heather said...

I love Jude's "Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis??" expression.

Suzy said...

Heather, that is *exactly* the caption I wanted to put!! But I went for uniformity. :)

QuatroMama said...

This was one of the sweetest posts ever....I can relate so much! Was such a TREAT to hug you and chat a little last night. Let's make it happen again soon. Pick a house. =)

Megan said...

LOVE this post, it brought tears to my eyes! The side-by-side pictures are great. I might have to copy that next month! :)

Stephanie said...

WOW..I love the side by side pics!
They are so much bigger now!!!
Great post!!!

Andrea said...

Happy [belated] Birthday to those special "gooses."
What a sweet homecoming anniversary post! I can't believe it's been a year! I have a feeling it will only fly by even more quickly from here...

Jewel said...

Those pictures show SO MUCH personality! Wow!

The Posh Nosh said...

Wow, what a difference a year makes! Sorry, they kicked the fab 4 out of the NICU to make way for the Perry triplets :)

Hilary said...

That is so sweet!! It has been such a treat to watch them grow and really take the world on this 1st year!! Thank you for taking "us" along with you guys on this journey called parenthood..those kiddos are precious as always :) Have a great 2010 too!!!!!!!

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Amazing to think that it's been a year already, isn't it? Talk about time flying and standing still all at the same time. Your four are beautiful. Keep up the good work, Mom! (and Dad, too!)

Christy

Beth said...

Suzy- Thanks for stopping by. So glad I found your blog! What gorgeous children!! Isn't time crazy? I can't believe mine are already 16mos, but I feel like I've had them forever! Congrats on their first year home!!!!

Yaya' s Home said...

Whoa! These are great. Congratulations on such a beautiful family.

~ Yaya
Yaya's Changing World

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...