Monday, October 17, 2011

My baby can read

Remember how Isaac learned his alphabet before everyone else? Well, now that he and his siblings have all mastered their letters (including what sound each one makes), Mr. Alphabet has decided to step it up a notch—by starting to read!

I didn't realize he was doing this until about 3 weeks ago, when his speech therapist told me that she thought he was reading the colors in one of her books. So after she left that day, I sat down with him and wrote down every word I could think of that appears in the books and DVDs that we have. From what I came up with off the top of my head, he recognized about 60 words, including his name, all of his colors, a bunch of animals, several types of instruments, and more! Here's a quick look at Isaac doing his thing:



The most amazing thing is that no one sat down and taught him any of this—he just picked it up on his own. This kid sure knows how to make his English-major mom happy!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you share how much you read to the kids and how often you spend time with them on the alphabet and academics? Also, would you mind sharing your schedule of kid-related activities? I am not a mom yet but deciding if I should stay home with future babies or if they will do fine in daycare.

Suzy said...

Honestly, I do not do any work with them ... I don't even have time to read much to them. :( They do like to look at books, though, and we read maybe one or two before bed. Really, they have taught themselves with LeapFrog products like the LeapTop and the Letter Factory DVD. I don't have a schedule of kid-related activities, but Isaac's speech therapist is encouraging me to set up a preschool-like day for them ... I just haven't had the time to think of it much yet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Suzy! That is very helpful. I think you're a great mom!

The Saunders Family said...

wow suzy, that is awesome!

Beth said...

Wow! Incredible.

Bethany said...

WOW! Mr. Smarty Pants!

Marianne said...

Amazing. Each and every day your kids continue to prove how extraordinary they are! I learned to read at 2.5, too, and no one ever believes me. Maybe I'll point them to this video to show that it is possible ;)

Kari said...

That is totally amazing! You have a little genius on your hands!

Jodi said...

WOW - that is truly amazing!!! How incredibly awesome!

Dawn Alexander said...

amazing!

Bree at Clarity Defined said...

That's incredible! Way to go Isaac!!!!

Anonymous said...

haHA!! Amazing!! Xylophone?? I mean seriously :) You go little buddy!!

Melissa said...

I definitely thought you were going to be writing "Cat" "Up" "Mom" "Dad" ...but holy crap! What a brilliant little boy!! Good job mommy!

The Mommy said...

That's AWESOME Suzy! Little smartie. Their minds are just little sponges. It's just amazing what they pick up.

Sarah said...

I know I'm coming to this a little late...but WOW! I'm so impressed! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...