Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Light terrors

Do you see anything scary in this picture? (And no, I'm not talking about the feeding table!)


According to Lucy, the light fixture above the table is what is absolutely terrifying. It hangs directly over her designated seat, and it's never posed a problem. Until this week.

Before I go any further, let me confess that, earlier this week, I did bump Lucy's head on the light fixture as I was putting her in her seat for breakfast. But since she didn't cry and barely seemed to even notice the collision, I just kissed her head and we proceeded with our meal. Later that day, everyone got back in the table for lunch and for a snack, and both times Lucy acted normally.

Then came dinner. As soon as I put Lucy in her seat, she FREAKED. OUT. I've never seen anything like it. She was screaming so hard that she was beet red, her teeth were gritted, her fists were clenched, and her eyes were tearing. She would not eat or drink, and nothing I did to try to soothe her had any effect.

Eventually I took her out of the table and back into the living room. She calmed down almost instantly, so after a few minutes, I put her back in the table. Immediately, she reverted to full-on panic mode. I noticed that she kept looking up at the light like she was spooked, so I turned it off, thinking that perhaps the glare or heat were bothering her. No dice.

At this point, I decided that she was just having an irrational tantrum, so I took her out of the table for good, and little Lucy did not eat dinner that night.

The next morning, I put Lucy in the table for breakfast. Immediate SCREAMING. Again, I noticed that she kept looking up at the light. In a moment of inspiration, I asked Ted to help me switch her place with Jude, who usually sits the farthest from the light fixture. Right away, Lucy stopped screaming, and we were able to eat our breakfast without further incident. I haven't put her back in her old seat since then, and she's been completely fineat the table.

I stress "at the table" because, just before naptime today, Lucy began pointing at the living room chandelier. She does this all the time, and I always tell her what it's called—no big deal. This time, however, I thought it would be fun to lift her up so that she could get a closer look at it. BAD MOVE. Lucy instantly dissolved into terrified tears! Nothing consoled her except for taking her out of the living room (which happens to be the only baby-proofed room in the house!).

"Here I come, baby—comin' to getcha!"

It appears that dealing with this new fear of light fixtures won't be as easy as switching places at the table, after all. Anyone have any advice on how to cure this sudden chandelier phobia? I'm stumped!

14 comments:

Hilary said...

Poor girlfriend :(

The Cochran Crew said...

Hilarious!!!! Let her turn the switch on and off and see if that helps! Sorry, I'm no help, but I enjoyed the laugh!

Valerie said...

Oh my word. Thats hilarious and sad all at the same time. Unfortunately I don't have any advice. Thats one that I haven't gone through with my kids.

Praying her fear is short lived!

Lori said...

I find if you just yell at them a lot and shame them into submission, they seem to get over the fear. ;-) Just kidding. All kids go through something they are terrified of - Madie was spider webs, Noah hated flies. I liked the light switch idea. Try and show her that it's not scary and that it can actually be kinda of fun to shut on and off. Good luck and hope whatever you try, works!

Suzy said...

Oh, the kids know all about the light switch. They get to play with it after every diaper change, if they so wish (there's a switch right above the table that they're fascinated with). So she knows how to control it ... she just does not want to be near it!

Beth said...

That is too funny!! I wish I had some advice, but some fears are just completely irrational. Hopefully it will pass soon. Thanks for a good giggle.

The Saunders Family said...

hmmmm...what about balloons...do they like them, maybe hang some balloons from the light, make it a fun thing?? That's all I got!

Mommy Lisa said...

Oh my! You really don't need the lights do you? :) Poor thing! Wish there was some sort of quick fix, but I don't have any answers. Sorry!

Bethany said...

lol...but also feeling your pain. I am no expert. I was going to actually tell you to try the light switch thing but someone beat me to it already. I guess maybe I am an expert, then. ;)
You could try lamps for a while, they might be a little less scary. I think it's a little scary, how do you know it's not going to fall on you? Maybe show her other things that hang like a plant or something so she knows it's going to stay there? Good luck.

Suzy said...

She's calmed down a lot today ... just acts nervous about the light, rather than screaming her brains out in its presence. :) I think you might be right, Bethany ... she probably thinks it's going to fall on her head! We don't have any hanging plants or anything ... maybe Jessica's balloon idea would be the next best thing? Lamps are out b/c they are a climbing/pulling down on your head hazard.

Tamara said...

Awe, poor baby girl!

Jackie said...

I just found your blog through another one. I am the mother of a 2 1/2 year old boy and am expecting quadruplets this summer (2 boys and 2 girls) When I saw that you made it to 33 weeks and saw their birth weights I had to contact you and ask if there is anything you did or that was recommended to you that you attribute to this outcome. Your outcome nearly made me cry (tears of joy and hope).

The Middletons said...

Good Luck Suzy!! Sorry, I'm no help either, but I like the other suggestions that were made! :o)

Megan said...

Grace has had some irrational fears too - recently a toy train, and many months ago, hats. Man, was she afraid of hats! I'm not sure there is much you can do - Grace seems to just get over these fears with time. I think Lucy will do the same. I would just try to distract her and help her keep her distance from the lights (as much as is practical) in the meantime.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...