Friday, September 19, 2008

Reality check

"Think you're big now? You'll start growing even more rapidly in the weeks to come."

This startling (and unintentionally hilarious) bit of information was featured in the latest BabyCenter newsletter to land in my inbox. Believe it or not, I occasionally forget that my pregnancy is not a "normal" one—after all, I've never been pregnant before, so I don't know any better! Fortunately, I have BabyCenter to remind me how freakishly big I already am ... and to terrify me as I contemplate what it will be like to grow even faster than I have been doing for the past 6 weeks or so.

Something else that got my attention this week? The illustration (at right) of what my body should look like at 19 weeks, according to Your Pregnancy Week by Week. Honestly, I don't think I looked much smaller than this lady before I became pregnant! Prepare to be astonished as you compare this drawing to my corresponding "19 weeks" belly shot:

You know, sometimes I just sit here and can't even believe that this is happening to me. I'm so glad that I can (usually) laugh about it!

9 comments:

K. Franklin said...

I had a "normal" pregnancy and I can tell you, I WAS bigger than the illustration before I got pregnant! My dr told me constantly that I read too much and was taking it all way to literally!!

And your pregnancy is special!! I'm so excited that you're sharing it with all of us!

Lori Cates Hand said...

Hi Suzy!

Hate to tell you this, but you're as big now as I was at 40 weeks! (Of course, that was just one kid, albeit a big one.)

I'm so happy for you and am enjoying reading about your fantastic journey into motherhood!

Suzy said...

Heh, interesting that you should say my 19 weeks = your 40 weeks ... my mom works at a hospital and when she showed by latest pic to one of the doctors this week, he guessed that I was about to deliver. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you are lovely, and I hope you enjoyed your last day at the office!

Felix

Anonymous said...

You look great, but yeah, I wouldn't guess 19 weeks! I hope your last day was great. How bedrested do you have to be?

Suzy said...

I'm not too limited yet. The main thing is that working from my recliner will mean much less activity, which will hopefully stave off the dreaded contractions. I think I'll be getting a home contraction monitor next week or so.

Anonymous said...

I love the pics you've been posting... and I think you are a beautiful pregnant lady!! We are so happy and excited for you!!! And after being a mom for 5 months now, I can honestly say I STILL cannot believe it is real, and sometimes I am amazed at how God answers prayers!! Same for you - you are so blessed! Just try to enjoy the excitement and energy of it all. Love ya, Becky

Anonymous said...

I think you look great! I love to look at your pictures and read your entries! I am glad you can laugh about it, otherwise, all the fun would be gone! I'm continuing to pray for you! Love ya! Tiff

Anonymous said...

Do you think this illustrated lady looks so small because she has no arms? I'd think that would make a difference. ;)

Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...