Saturday, April 16, 2011

We're swingers

While on a walk with the kids yesterday, I was thrilled to discover that our neighborhood now has a swing set! Since the kids had never been in a real swing before (we don't have our own, and my one attempt at taking them to the park last year was a huge failure), I was itching to put them in the swings and see how they liked them. There was just one problem: This particular swing set has only two toddler swings. Clearly the neighborhood association didn't take our family into account when deciding how many of those to order!

Undeterred, I considered my options: I could turn around and go home (no way, Jose); put two kids in each swing, back to back (nope, the kids are already too big for that); or put two in the swings while the other two waited in the choo choo (possibly tricky, but probably doable). I knew what I had to do.

The girls got to go first, while the boys looked on:


Then, when it was time to put the boys in the swings, I beeped (yes, you read that right) and switched everyone out:


Another mom who was there with her older kids remarked on how patient my kids were while they waited in the choo choo, so I explained my beeping to her: At home, we have a timer that we use to manage turns on our indoor trampoline, and I've discovered that—any other time I want someone's turn to end—all I have to do is make a "beep beep beep" sound, and they go along with it, as if I had used a real timer. I don't know how long they'll be cool with this charade, but so far it's been a lifesaver!

Oh, and by the way, all four kids LOVED the swings and can't stop talking about them. I have no doubt that we will be making good use of the neighborhood playground this year!

2 comments:

Beth said...

what fun!! my crew loves the swings too. we are right now shopping around for a new swing set for our backyard. our neighborhood doesn't have a playground, so we need to provide our own. They are expensive, but I think we'll get enough use out of it to justify the expense.

Love that your kids respond so well to the 'beeping'. Isn't it amazing the different cues they just accept as the norm?

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Yay! So glad you are getting out more now. I'm sure it will make the summer more enjoyable for everyone!

Christy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...